Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pedicab accident provokes strong response

Sharon Miller, a 60 year old retired teacher died after falling from a pedicab on July 4. I saw police investigating the scene a few hours after the accident. It had the look of a fatality investigation. So far the most complete coverage of the incident I have found has been this post on the website San Diego News Network.

The drive, Sukru Safa Cinar, a 23 year old Turkish student was arrested and then released. Several city counsel member s have promised swift action to regulate the pedicabs. I am deeply concerned that the regulations will do nothing but bring needless hardships on the pedicab drivers who work very hard at a dangerous job for very little in compensation.

Even in the above linked description of the accident is very light on details. It is disturbingly easy for an older person to day of a blow to the head. I am not at all convinced that the pedicab operator was at fault. I will keep an eye on this case. I suspect that the driver will shortly be back in Turkey. I don't know what liability the company who leased the pedicab could have. The details of what transpired may never become public.

No comments:

Post a Comment